Episode 9 - Adam Grice
Live from Lanzarote - Adam Grice was the British Universities 10,000m champion and came top five in the World Mountain Running Championships however eventually lost the battle against a lack of funding and gave up competitive running at the age of 24 to pursue a career in medicine. We answer a few listeners questions, have a bit of a rant and rave, catch up with Tony and his trials and chat about how to approach build up races.
Time - Section
00:00 - Intro
- Martin's sunning himself in Lanzarote
- Tom battles through the snow and apologises for talking nonsense!
05:30 - News
- Marathon Talk reaches 1,000 Facebook fans (link)
- Danny does it for his mum!
- Non-itunes listeners can now subscribe via Libsyn (link)
- A website we love - www.mzungo.org
- Check out you Virgin London Marathon target mile splits by clicking HERE
- Daniel Torte raves about the Bratislava Marathon (link)
13:28 - Tony's Trials
- Tony takes up teaching
21:40 - Training Talk
- How should I approach races during the build up to a marathon?
31:50 - Rant and Rave
- Tom loves home sweet home
- Martin rants about budgie smuggling and poor kit choices
37:10 - Adam Grice
- As an unhealthy child with a love for sweets and crisps running was far from Adam's mind. At 16 he ran a 10k for charity and within a few short years had pb's of 14:08 for 5k and 65:46 for the Great North Run, not to mention a 5th place finish in the World Mountain Running Championships. Having battled against a lack of support through his early 20s he's hung up his spikes for the final time at the age of 24 and has returned to University to pursue a career in medicine. We talked to him about the challenges facing young and talented runners in the UK.
1:11:40 - Questions
- How important is it to do my long run on the same day and at the same time as my 'A' race?
- Am I at a disadvantage as a shorter runner than my competitors?
- Please can I do my long runs a little faster?
1:17:55 - Winner of the Week
- Les Turner
1:19:15 - Close
- Martin crosses his fingers for good weather in the Canaries
- Tom keeps on riding