Episode 74 - Alex Flynn
Since being diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's Disease in 2008 Alex Flynn has significantly raised his already high althetic bar, already the only PD sufferer to complete the Marathon des Sables, in two days time he's setting off on an 1,800 mile run accross Europe with just 30 days to complete it! With two week's worth of running to catch up on there was also plenty of news, results, gossip, winners, losers, rants, & raves... not to mention the second installment of Tony's race report from his German adventure... What. A. Show.
Time - Section
00:00 - Intro
- Tom's been... hanging out in Bridlington, speakint to AF & MD, watching the triathlon
- Martin's been... best manning in the Lakes, doing nothing, getting over a cold
- Three places left on Liz's Alpine summer camp - 30% discount for listeners
- Check out Marathon Talk listener Mike Spray's new running shop in Tasmania (link)
- Find out more about the Bring on Tomorrow Foundation HERE
- Check out this awesome show of Central Governor wrestling...
10:45 - Interview with Ellie Greenwood following her great result at Comrades
24:40 - News
- Rate Your Run averages 8.3 from 99
- Paula struggles at BUPA London 10,000 (bbc.co.uk)
- Go Go Mo! Mo Farah runs a British and European 10,000m record - watch the whole race HERE
- Moses Mosop breaks the World 30km record (link)
- Edinburgh Marathon want YOUR feedback, via THIS LINK
47:14 - Tony's Trials
1:00:00 - Rant & Rave
- Denis Markov rants about too much spending and not enough running!
- Maria Blythe raves about the South Cheshire 20 mile run :)
1:03:03 - Interview - Alex Flynn
- Back in 2008 when training for the Marathon des Sables Alex was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s Disease. The following year he became the only Parkinson’s sufferer in history to complete that grueling desert race. Since then he has set himself the target of racing ten million metres and raising one million pounds to make a difference in the fight against this terrible disease. In just three days time he sets with Dave Clamp on an 1,800 mile run across Europe… with only 30 days to do it in!
- Check out Alex's great website - www.alexflynn.co.uk
- Alex's Just Giving page is HERE
- Find him on facebook here... www.facebook.com/10MillionMetres
- Listen to his tweets here... www.twitter.com/alexflynn01
1:45:00 - Winner of the Week
- Eddie Kid - Nominated by Tony Lloyd and many many others (read more)
1:46:28 - Close
- Don't forget to Rate Your Run from Sunday at marathontalk.com/rateyourrun
- Thanks to everyone who's ordered Marathon Talk hoodies, t-shirts and hats (find out more)
- Pop along to our Facebook events page here