Episode 574 - Sophie Raworth
Holly talks to runner and BBC News presenter Sophie Raworth about how running has been her saviour through lockdown. We also talk about XC running distances, running with a mask, and being a lockdown diva. Plus, Training Talk is back with strength training for runners.
- Martin's been finishing his book
- Order direct (here) and get 25% off using the code MIDPACK25
- Holly's been starting hers
- parkrun Australia is back
- Memories of John Kynaston
- Cross country distances
- Tennis divas at the Aussie open
- Should runners wear masks?
Training Talk - Strength Training for Runners
- Lower body - low volume/high weight - upcto 3 sets of no more 5 reps eg. squats, trap bar DL/SL DL either immediately prior to speed session or 8 hours prior or after workout. - 80-95% LRM
- Higher reps/volume lower body - 6+ reps x 3 sets should be placed around easy days - ideally not a LR day (90 mins plus) - 50-70% LRM
- If your goal is to be stronger or add muscle - Lift first
- If your goal is to be a faster runner - lift after
- Upper body can be placed in the week to suit
- Concurrent Training - ideally first few days of the week consist of heavier lifting around faster sessions and then higher reps end of week or around easier runs.
- 6 total sets of compound movements per week
- Tapering? Should I lift race week?
Interview - Sophie Raworth
- Martin will be running
- Holly will be running