Episode 409 - Kericho Marathon Kenya.
Martin's back from an incredible trip to Kenya with Five Talents and shares all the news and speaks to Marathon Talk Kenya campers Ben Foster and Nikki Chamberlain as well as Nick Kershaw from Impact Marathons and Rachel Lindley from Five Talents. The NYC marathon saw the first female American champion for 40 years. Jemima Sumgong gets a doping ban upheld. British para-sport is in classification crises. Training Talk is sponsored by Runderwear, we catch up with founder Richard Edmunds and Martin shares how not to get a marathon in Kenya right. You rate your run, show off your kit and stand on the podium.
- Martin's back from Kenya and brings you all the stories from Kericho!
- Tom's been Harrogate parkrunning.
The team at the track in Kericho, Kenya!
- Thanks so much to all our listeners who've supported the show by becoming a Patron
- Find out how you can get involved, via this link to our Patreon page
- Kit Around the World
- Each week, listeners send in photos of themselves flashing their Xempo Marathon Talk kit all around the world
- If you've got a photo in your kit then please email it to email@example.com so we can share on the show
- Check out Tom Wake's interactive Kit Around the World photo album
Rate Your Run
- Share your runs on social media, giving them a rating out of 10
- Post to Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook, using #rateyourrun
- Your posts will appear on our Rate Your Run social wall.
- New York City Marathon | LetsRun | Toni Reavis blog |
- Women’s 5th Placer. | RunnersWorld USA
- Meb | Runnersworld USA
- Sumgong gets 4 year ban | Sports Integrity Initiative
- Classic Yuki in Cannes | Classic Kawauchi
The Listener Podium
- Each week we celebrate your marathon results on The Listener Podium
- To add your result, and maybe get mentioned on the show, you need to do the following:
- Login to this website
- Search our event listings for your marathon (if it's not there you can add it)
- Add your marathon result
- Bask in the golden-glow of glory
Training Talk - Sponsored by Runderwear.
Runderwear are a British brand which makes seamless, moisture-wicking, technical performance underwear to prevent chaffing. Find out more and buy online at www.runderwear.co.uk where you can get 20% off online orders using code MT20 until 24th December 2017.
We speak to Runderwear founder Richard Edmunds.
How not to run a marathon in Kenya with Martin.
- No specific or appropriate training - train smart!
- Track session the day before, at altitude, in the heat, with Kenyans - taper!
- No knowledge of the route or terrain - understand your challenge!
- No considerations for the weather / altitude - know the conditions.
- Poor pacing - nail your pacing!
- Inadequate fueling before and on the day - fuel yourself right!
This week we're joined by Marathon Talk listeners in Kenya, Ben Foster and Nikki Chamberlain, and Impact Marathon's Nick Kershaw and Five Talents Rachel Lindley.
- Tom's at Bob Smith's funeral.
- Martin's waiting to see if he's in the Mont Blanc Marathon.
- Check out The Listener Launch Pad