Episode 399 - Ivo Gormley
On this week’s show, RIP Olympian David Torrence. Mo Farah runs his final, final track race, Eliud feels challenged, Coe calls for bravery and innovation, a study estimates 43% prevalence of doping athletes at world champs 2011, it’s world record chasing time at the Berlin Marathon and we speak to the founder of the wonderful GoodGym, Ivo Gormley. Training Talk looks at benchmarks to assess current form and this Saturday it’s the brilliant Skid Row Marathon documentary film screening in London.
- Martin's been getting 17mile carried away. See his run on Strava.
- Tom's been visiting Tony and planning the parkrun Germany trip!
FINAL CHANCE! Come and watch the UK’s special screening of Skid Row Marathon.
Join us for a special screening of the award-winning documentary Skid Row Marathon. Saturday September the 2nd at 3.30pm at the Prince Charles Cinema, 7 Leicester Place, London WC2H 7BY. After the film, stay for a panel discussion with Martin Yelling and filmmakers Mark and Gabi Hayes from Los Angeles.
Liz Yelling's Clonakilty Running Camp 2018.
An exciting week of running the roads, trails and hills of West Cork. Run all or some of the sessions - each run catering for all abilities, fitness levels and speeds. You will be staying in self-catering accommodation a 5 min walk from Clonakilty Town with breakfast, lunch and dinner provided. Airport transfers covered with the option of arriving a day early if you wish to prolong your holiday. €950 for the week to include coaching and 1-1 coaching from Olympic and Commonwealth Games athlete, Liz Yelling.
Email Clonakilty.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Kit around the world.
Each week listeners send in photos of themselves flashing their super-cool Marathon Talk kit in exotic locations around the world. If you’ve got one of you then please send it to email@example.com so we can share on the show. Check out Tom Wake's interactive Kit Around the World photo album.
Rate Your Run.
- Share your runs on social media, giving them a rating out of 10
- Post to Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook, using #rateyourrun and your posts will appear on our Rate Your Run social wallRate Your Run
- Check out our Rate Your Run social wall
R.I.P. David Torrence.
Track and field lost one of its good guys yesterday, as Olympian David Torrence passed away unexpectedly at the age of 31. A dual citizen who represented Peru in international competition, "DT" was an exciting racer, honest personality and outspoken advocate for clean athletes. He was exactly what the sport needed more of, and now it's left with a hole that will be hard to fill. (Mario Fraioli)
- Eliud’s Challenge | IAAF
- Wilson Kipsang, Kenenisa Bekele and Eliud Kipchoge will attack the world record | Berlin Marathon
- Mo’s last race in Zurich. Best finish of his career? | LetsRun | BBC
- Farah Stats | BBC
- Mo off to the GNR | Athletics weekly
- Prevalence of doping study. Rolf Ulrich et al. |Journal of Sports Medicine. | The Guardian
- The future of athletics? | Ben Bloom in the Telegraph.
The Listener Podium.
- Each week we celebrate your marathon results on The Listener Podium
- To add your result, and maybe get mentioned on the show, you need to do the following:
- Login to this website
- Search our event listings for your marathon (if it's not there you can add it)
- Add your marathon result
- Bask in the golden-glow of glory.
Training Talk. Using a benchmark run to assess progress.
Interview. Ivo Gormley. GoodGym Founder.
- Martin is off the London for the Skid Row screening
- Tom is celebrating Aston's 3rd Birthday.