Episode 39 - Bruce Fordyce (part two)
What a show! Bruce Fordyce is back in part two of his interview, Martin and Liz are in Chicago, Tom's happy despite being sick AND not in Kona, Tony's getting a bit OCD and... there's a special 'out take' to make you laugh just after the closing jingle ;)
Time - Section
00:00 - Intro
- Tom's still a sick boy :(
- Martin's over in Chicago :)
- Recommend a friend on Facebook
- Click on 'suggest to my friends'
- In the box click on ALL of your friends
- Add a personal message i.e. 'Check out the best running podcast in the World'
- Click on 'send invitations'
- Still time to enter the Chicago Marathon competition to win super cool Marathon Talk tops.
- Check out the comments on last week's show notes to see predictions so far
- Enter by using the comment box at the bottom of these show notes
- Entries to our competition so far HERE
- Latest elite fields for the Chicago Marathon HERE
- Commonwealth Marathons, both men's and women's, on the 14th of October at 2am UK time (BBC)
- Check out the brilliant video interview with 10km WR holder Leonard Komon HERE
- Check out a video of the race itself HERE
- Micah Kogo and Leonard Komon going head to head over 10km this weekend (read more)
09:09 - News
- Rate Your Run scores on the up again... 7.9 average from over 100 comments!
- Kilomathon Scotland (read more)
- The Stockport Ten goody bag teaser video 2 of 10, out now... HERE
- Stefan Engels has knocked out 276 marathons on consecutive days! (read more)
- Guys crash women's road racing (read more)
- Runner wins semi-automatic rifle for winning a 5k! (read more)
- Mablethorpe Marathon (results)
- Loch Ness Marathon (results)
- New Speedo App, check out tri247.com for details
18:23 - Tony's Trials
- Tony's obsessed!
20:40 - Training Talk - Destination Races
- Plan everything, from leaving your house to arriving at the start line, well in advance
- Take breaks in long car (and plane) journeys
- Take your race kit with YOU
- Eat and drink well (well means well, not lots)
- Understand your destination
35:05 - The Road to Chicago
- T-minus not many days!
36:10 - Rant & Rave
- Martin rants about... rubbish gym instructors
- Tom raves about... changing the world through running :)
39:01 - Interview - Bruce Fordyce (part two)
- This week’s guest is regarded as one of the greatest ultra distance runners of all time… he’s won the infamous 90km Comrades Marathon a record total of nine times, won the 54 mile London to Brighton three times, setting the still standing world record for 50 miles on the way averaging 5:48 per mile, he’s won the US 50 mile record setting the still standing US all comers record in the process and in 1989 he beat an elite international field to win the world 100km road champs, where despite temperatures in the thirties he set a then world record of 6 hours 25 minutes (that’s 6:12 per mile).
1:10:00 - Listener's questions
- Thanks to Charlie Hew - "I keep getting cramps at 32km into my marathons, what can I do?"
- On arriving in a hot country you will loose a lot of salt through sweat - hydrate well, possibly using a drink such as Nuun
- Make sure you maintain hydration through race week
- What's happening in training? If no cramps then what's different?
- Try regular massage prior to races - 5, 3 & 1 week out?
- Regular use of a foam roller to relieve tight muscles
- Try different shoes
- The bottom line is, unfortunately, that there isn't a 'text book' answer - keep trying different things until you find what works
1:15:58 - Winner of the Week
- Doris Lowenthal - Nominated by her husband Barry
1:17:40 - Close
- Follow Kona this weekend HERE
- Follow Chicago this weekend HERE
- 10am on 10/10/10... what an opportunity!
1:25:55 - Something to make you chuckle ;)