Episode 38 - Bruce Fordyce (part one)
Known across South Africa as The Comrades King, Bruce Fordyce won the iconic ultra marathon nine times between 1981 and 1990. During this time he also set the world 50 mile road record, won the London to Brighton ultra marathon three times and became world 100km champion, setting the then world record of 6:25 in the process. This week we also catch up with Tony, hear from Liz, answer questions, talk racing and moan about being ill!
Time - Section
00:00 - Intro
- It's been a rollercoaster week for Tom... from running round the Purbecks to exploding ear drums!
- Martin's been organising races for the kids and working with AudioFuel
- Check out the first 'teaser' video for the Stockport 10 goody bag HERE
- Check out last year's Stockport 10 goody bag video HERE
- Listen to the end of the show to find out how YOU can win some Marathon Talk clothing
05:00 - News
- Rate Your Run scores up for the second week running with an average of 7.9 from 110 comments!
- Close racing in Berlin (read more)
- Even closer racing in Toronto (read more)
- Joan Benoit to run Chicago (read more)
- BREAKING NEWS! - Ryan Hall pulls out of Chicago (read more)
14:30 - Tony's Trials
- Tony's been busy... ranking!
18:40 - Training Talk becomes Racing Talk
- Thanks to Gerard O'callaghan for asking us how to fuel during a marathon
- Find out what works for you by practicing
- Tom uses water and gels
- Martin and Liz use a combination of gels, sports drink and water
24:05 - The Road to Chicago
- With just over one week to go, things are looking up :)
26:20 - Rant & Rave
- Tom rants about his naughty ear!
- Martin raves about family fun time :)
27:55 - Interview - Bruce Fordyce (part one)
- This week’s guest is regarded as one of the greatest ultra distance runners of all time… he’s won the infamous 90km Comrades Marathon a record total of nine times, won the 54 mile London to Brighton three times, setting the still standing world record for 50 miles on the way averaging 5:48 per mile, he’s won the US 50 mile record setting the still standing US all comers record in the process and in 1989 he beat an elite international field to win the world 100km road champs, where despite temperatures in the thirties he set a then world record of 6 hours 25 minutes (that’s 6:12 per mile).
57:58 - Listener's questions
- Thanks to Greg Gottfried for this week's question
- What should I do if it rains on marathon day?
- Don't over dress
- Wear the right clothes
- Be warm on the start line
- Vaseline your feet
- HTFU... your skin is water proof ;)
1:02:08 - Winner of the Week
- Steve Wahlquist - check out www.walkstevewalk.com
- Nominated by Seth Mathers via email
1:03:25 - Close
- Marathon Talk clothing NOW AVAILABLE!
- Go to www.marathontalk.com/clothing
- To order, email us via firstname.lastname@example.org
- CHICAGO MARATHON COMPETITION - WIN MARATHON TALK T-SHIRTS
- Guess the winner's name and their time - closest wins free t-shirt posted
- ALL entries to be posted as comments on THIS WEEK'S show notes
- First come first served for each name/time combination
- Martin's launching his AudioFuel training product today!
- Tom's gonna be spending the week lying on his ear!
- This weekend is the Leeds parkrun third Birthday... see you there?