Episode 375 - Ed Whitlock RIP.
On this week’s show we remember the world record breaking masters athlete, Ed Whitlock who passed away recently. Tony’s here with his trials, there’s a Breaking2 update, no Commonwealth Games in Durban in 2022, a super windy race in France, the pacemaker takes the win in Barcelona and Chris Froome responds. You flash you kit around the world, Rate Your Run, stand atop the Podium and tell us what would make you run faster.
This week we were saddened to hear of the death of the inspirational Ed Whitlock. In 2003 Ed shocked the entire running world when at age 72 years he ran 2:59:10 at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon to become the first 70-year old on the planet to go under the magical 3-hour mark. Ed was, overnight, every marathon runner’s hero. He went on to set 25 World Age group bests and seal a place in marathoning history.
We thank you Ed for making us all believe we can still go quicker.
RIP Ed Whitlock.
00:00 - Intro.
- Martin's been running 17.40 and banking a well paced 16miler
- Tom's been recovering and running. A bit.
Check out the super-cool Marathon Talk kit around the World.
Each week listeners send in photos of themselves flashing their super-cool Marathon Talk kit in exotic locations around the world. If you’ve got one of you then please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share on the show. If you'd like to support the show then please check out the Xempo Marathon Talk kit.
20:19 - News.
- Rate Your Run | View your ratings Share your runs on social media and give them a rating out of 10. (0 is a shocker, 10 is awesome). You can Tweet, Instagram or post on Facebook using #rateyourrun. All posts will appear on our Rate Your Run social wall.
- Nike Breaking 2. | Alex Hutchinson from RunnersWorld
- Kate Carter in the Guardian
- The New York Times asks Do Nike’s New Shoes Give Runners an Unfair Advantage? | New York Times
- Check this wind out! | RunnersWorld
- Pacemaker wins in Barcelona. | Athletics Weekly
- Durban Stripped of 2022 CWG. | Inside the Games
- Chris Froome repsonds | BBC
47:56 - Listener Podium
Each week we celebrate your marathon results on the Listener Podium. To add your result, and maybe get mentioned on the show, you need to do the following:
- Login to this website
- Search our event listings for your marathon. If it's not there you can add it
- Add your race result
- Bask in the golden glow of glory
50:19 - Tony's Trials.
54:21 - Interview - Ed Whitlock.
This week we revisit our 2011 interview with the great Ed Whitlock.
1:32:33 - Close
- Martin will be going wild in Snowdonia.
- Tom will be sitting down for a cup of posh tea in Harrogate.
Become a Patron | Thank you to the 43 listeners who have pledged to become a Marathon Talk show patron so far. If you like what we and value the content we produce then please consider becoming a Patron. | Support Marathon Talk