Episode 373 - Steve Smythe
Tom’s a poorly boy so Martin is joined by Tom's wonderful wife Helen. Alberto Salazar comes under fire again. Wilson Kipsang rules in Tokyo but misses a WR. It was National XC weekend. Just what inspires you to be active? For Facebook Friday you gave us your long run tips. In Training Talk Prof Andy Lane talks about the benefits of raising your awareness of discomfort. We’ve got some cracking Rate Your Runs, you stand on the podium and Steve Smythe tells us how to run a sub 3hour marathon every year for 40 years!
00:00 - Intro
- Martin's been running 11 miles on the Purbecks in Storm Doris with the inspiring Danny Bent.
- Helen's been amazing juggling half-term, broken small ears & in-laws all with no running for escape because her thyroid's gone bonkers again
Check out the super-cool Marathon Talk kit around the World.
Each week listeners send in photos of themselves flashing their super-cool Marathon Talk kit in exotic locations around the world. If you’ve got one of you then please send it to [email protected] so we can share on the show.
13:20 - News
- Rate Your Run | View your ratings Share your runs on social media and give them a rating out of 10. (0 is a shocker, 10 is awesome). You can Tweet, Instagram or post on Facebook using #rateyourrun. All posts will appear on our Rate Your Run social wall.
- Doping News - Sunday Times release Fancy Bears USADA report. | BBC | LetsRun | Sports Illustrated.
- Wilson misses the WR in Tokyo but still smashes it in sub 2:04! | LetsRun | Japan Running News
- The English National! | Athletics Weekly
- Did the London 2012 Olympic inspire you? | Guardian
- Getting Colin McCourt on the show. | Athletics Weekly
39:46 - Listener Podium
Each week we celebrate your marathon results on the Listener Podium. To add your result, and maybe get mentioned on the show, you need to do the following:
- Login to this website
- Search our event listings for your marathon. If it's not there you can add it
- Add your race result
- Bask in the golden glow of glory
43:45 - Training Talk - Prof Andy Lane helps us understand how to harness our inner jedi.
1:05:10 - Interview | Steve Smythe. | Athletics Weekly
1:42:06 - Close.
- Martin's flying solo with the kids as Liz is away coaching on her annual running camp in Ireland and will be live video on the London Marathon Facebook Page this Friday at 6pm.
- Helen's avoiding small ears, children and in-laws by meditating in dark spaces while dreaming about two weeks on a Mediterranean island on her own.