Episode 33 - Charlie Webster
As a TV presenter who has stood in front of 350 million viewers and a six time marathon finisher Charlie Webster talked to us all about running and how the media can influence future generations. Tony popped back in with some great fashion advice, Tom scored a personal worst, Martin ranted about fish size and we found out about D-D-D-Doublers!
Time - Section
00:00 - Intro
- Tom's been hanging out in Geneva with Barefoot Brian Williams
- Martin's been not watching air festivals... but has been fighting the mozzies!
04:27 - News
- Smackdown update... Girls leading by 9:21... where are you boys?
- Rate your run index down to 6.4
- Welcome to the world Bekele Cameron
- Daniel Robinson is running 1002 miles in August... and needs your help! (LINK)
- Mo Farah breaks Dave Moorcroft's British 5,000m record (telegraph.co.uk)
- David Rudisha breaks the world 800m record. Check out the video on letsrun.com
- Pikes Peak Marathon (results)
- Leadville 100 Trail Race (leadvilletrail100.com)
- Mudgee Marathon (website)
- England pick the team for the Commonwealth Games (englandathletics.org)
14:16 - Tony's Trials
- Finger Bob Fashion!
18:24 - Training Talk
- Training well on a limited time budget
29:03 - Rant & Rave
- Martin rants about medium sized fish in small ponds pretending to be big fish when they should be hanging out in larger ponds with bigger fish and therefore appear smaller ;)
- Tom raves about giving it some welly from the gun to the tape!
32:00 - Interview - Charlie Webster
- This week’s guest was the first female TV presenter of live Premier League football in Asia and Australasia where working for ESPN she regularly had audiences of over 300 million. She’s been the face of Real Madrid TV and now presents motor sport shows for Sky Sports and Channel 4. She ran her first marathon in Singapore in 2006 and earned her 6th finishers medal at this year’s VLM crossing the line in 3:56. She’s also a Nike Women’s Ambassador encouraging females of all ages to get active and has helped to train athletes with learning disabilities for the special Olympics.
- Find out more about Charlie at her website www.charliewebster.com
1:02:20 - Question of the Week
Thanks to Sharad Venugopal - On recovery weeks - is it still a recovery week if I reduce my overall mileage but keep my long run intact - i.e. take some miles off my midweek runs but continue to increase the distance of my Sunday long run? Or does recovery mean shortening my long run as well? Reason I ask is that with 10 weeks to go for a 50k, I'm increasingly nervous that my long runs aren't enough?
1:05:30 - Winner of the Week
Nominated by Tracy Bliss... her son Harley!
1:06:15 - Close
- This weekend it's the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc... plus the CCC, the TDS, PTL... you can track everyone HERE
- Last week of the smackdown... winners announced next week
- Still time to get involved in the Marathon Talk Motivation Station
- Martin answers your questions LIVE at facebook.com/lucozadesportrunning see you there 13:00 on Friday the 28th of August (UK Time)
- Marathon countdown time!
- Martin's back in the game...
- Tom's looking to improve on his zero rated run!