Episode 327 - Team GB Rio Marathon women's contenders.
It’s a Team GB Rio Olympic Games Contenders special! We speak to three top female picks for the big trial race in London. We look at the crazy Barkley Marathon. There’s a new World Record for the marathon on an indoor track. The first marathon in Iran kicks off - without women. There’s news of a speedy 10 year old. We talk tapering. You rate your run, stand proudly on the podium and Tom tells us all about the Little Stoke parkrun affair.
00:00 - Intro
- Martin's been 16mile running, bmf planning and being a generally good husband and father.
- Steve's been running rediculous amounts of miles and calling it tapering.
- Tom's gone AWOL. #loveparkrun
- Check out the amazing Marathon Talk kit all around the world
- WIN a Garmin Vivosmart and a trip to the cinema with Fitness Rewards.
8:34 - News
11:40 parkrun COO Mr Tom Williams joins us for an update on 'the Little Stoke parkrun Scandal'.
- An Indoor Marathon! Right up TW’s street | NY Times
- Rio Olympic Marathon Test event| Inside the Games
- The Virgin Money London Marathon is 2 weeks away! | Elite start sheet.
- Smokin! 17:24 for 5k. For a 10year old! | RunnersWorld USA
- Female runners run Iran’s first marathon | RunnersWorld USA
Sign up for Running Heroes using the code "MarathonTalkHeroes" to claim 100 points!
- The Listener Podium is taken from our online rankings
45:00 - Training Talk - the taper. Hit race day fresh!
How to get your taper wrong.
1. Chuck in loads of training
2. Push on through injury or illness
3. Over-do everythine else!
53:00 - Interview with Team GB hopefuls for the women's marathon. 'The Contenders'.
We pick 3 women that could be on the plance to Rio. Alyson Dixon, Sonia Samuels and Susan Partridge and catch up with each of them about their Olympic hopes and dreams!
1:25:50 - Close
- Martin will be SUP racing on the River Dart, supporting his daughter in her theatre production and parkrunning.
- Steve will be tapering for London!