Episode 242 - Ben Fairburn
Tom is away having babies but Martin is back from his hols and joined by Commonwealth Games 6th placer Susan Partridge. Mo’s been record setting. New York champions return in 2014. Could you imagine running a marathon every day for over a year? You rate your run, appear on the podium and make us laugh. Training Talk looks at session progression and we interview the amazing Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon first timer Ben Fairburn.
00:00 - Intro
- Martin's been camping with toothache and running a little faster
- Susan's been eating donuts whilst doing motorbike donuts around the streets of Leeds.
- Thanks adidas for their continued support of the show
- Facebook Friday was all about tapering for an autumn marathon
11:42 - News
- Rate Your Run is taken from our forum
- Mo sets British 2 mile record | BBC
- Double European medalist Andy Vernon tackling GNR | IAAF
- New York looking loaded again - reigning champs sign up | Competitor
- Jo Pavey recently in the Telegraph | Telegraph
- The Listener Podium is taken from our online rankings page
45:37 - Boy on the Run | Blog
48:36 - Training Talk - the progression of the session
Progression can be achieved in different ways:
1. Running faster / harder (increasing the intensity of the effort)
2. Running further (longer distance at given intensity - HR/pace)
3. Increasing rep length
4. Decreasing rep recovery.
Tip - don’t do all of these at the same time!
Breakthrough marathon sessions at different times of a 16 week marathon build up.
- Week 4 - 2miles at MP - 5x3mins at HMP (90sec rest) - 2miles at MP
- Week 8 - 3miles at MP - 5x4mins at HMP (90sec rest) - 3miles at MP.
- Week 12 - 4miles at MP - 6x4mins at HMP (90sec rest) - 4miles at MP.
55:52 - Interview - Ben Fairburn | Ben on Twitter
1:31:39 - Something of the week.
- You make us laugh with roasted chestnuts, flip flops and going the wrong way.
1:34:51 - Close
- Martin will be moving house and busy with bmf
- Susan will be getting back ready for the GNR
- The Listener Launch Pad is taken from our events pages