Episode 126 - Frank Shorter
Frank Shorter is a legend of marathoning and the man quoted as leading the running boom in the USA in the 1970s. We review Comrades and super fast runs from “Mo – Jo”, and Anthony Whiteman inspires Tom by running a sub 4min mile aged 40! You rate your run and rave. Tony goes to the fair and in Training Talk Martin helps Tom prepare for his first track 1500m.
00:00 - Intro
- Martin's been cake eating and hamstring niggling
- Tom's been sub five miling and live streaming
We’ve heard from some people that they’ve missed out on some episodes of the show due to iTunes only downloading the most recent episode. For example when we released four shows over the London Marathon week some people only go the Saturday show and missed the first three. To fix this… (Thanks to Ian Corless for pointing out the solution)
1 - In iTunes click on 'podcasts' in the left hand library menu.
2 - You will then see the shows that you subscribe to.
3 - At the bottom of the page is a button 'settings' - click on that.
4 - You then have the preferences on how podcasts download.
5 - Select settings for Marathon Talk and for ‘when new episodes are available’ select ‘download all’.
- Congratulations to Noel Thatcher on his first ever negative split!
- Massive shouts to Guy Willard for leading the Deca Ironman whilst wearing his MT technical t-shirt (Guy's fundraising page)
- Well done to Stephen Weston for breaking the record for running Hadrians Wall.
11:30 - News
- Fantastic article on the 2012 race by Ross Tucker - here
- Read Ellie Greenwood's amazing race report here
- Pavey runs Olympic 10,000m time (BBC)
- Mo wins Pre Classic 5,000m (Let's Run)
44:56 - Tony's Trials
- The Great Manchester Cycle (link)
- The Grampian Country Fair (link)
49:16 - Training Talk
- Martin's top five 1,500 track tips...
1 - Prepare to run fast
2 - Start meaning business
3 - Know your splits
4 - Take the shortest line
5 - Kick at the bell, then 200m, then 100m
58:25 - Interview - Frank Shorter 1972 Olympic Marathon Champion
- Frank's wikipedia page is here
- Excellent Runner's World article here
1:48:16 - Rave
- The Endurance Life Real Relay (link)
1:56:48 - Close
- Martin will be chilling out in his clogs
- Tom will be burning up the inside lane ;-)