Episode 510 - Ed Caesar and that 1:59
What a weekend for running! On Saturday the world was captivated by the Ineos 159 challenge that saw Eliud Kipchoge become the first person to run a marathon distance in under 2hours, then, on Sunday in Chicago fellow Kenyan Brigid Kosgei obliterated Paula Radcliffe’s world record. We’re joined by Two Hours author and 1:59 commentator Ed Caesar to reflect. You can help get legendary Bruce Tulloh’s book 4 million footsteps back in print, Professor Andy Jones explains nitrates and endurance in Training Talk and Tony is here with his trials.
Throughout October the show is sponsored by Runderwear, a British brand which makes seamless, moisture-wicking, technical performance underwear to prevent chaffing. Find out more and buy online at www.runderwear.co.uk
Runderwear are offering Marathon Talk listeners 20% off all products online using code MT20. We’ll also be sharing details of an exclusive competition, keep listening and following our social channels throughout October to find out more.
- Martin's been running Eden parkrun and the Eden Project Half Marathon.
- Tom's been not running but listening to Kara and Adam Goucher on Clean Sport Collective podcast
- Thanks to all the Marathon Talk Patreons!
- If you like what we do and would like to support the show please check the link to our Patreon page.
- We love seeing our Kit Around the World, please do share you super-cool pictures on social media using #KitAroundTheWorld
Get Bruce Tulloh's commemorative book Four Million Footsteps
It’s fifty years since sixties running legend Bruce Tulloh made his record breaking 2,876‐mile run across America in just under 65 days.
To celebrate this fact and commemorate Bruce, who died last year, his family are republishing his long out of print book, Four Million Footsteps, which chronicled his amazing transcontinental adventure.
- To Rate Your Run, head to Twitter, tell us about a recent run, give it a mark out of ten, tag @marathontalk, and use the #RateYourRun.
- What an incredible weekend of endurance running.
- Kipchoge becomes first man to run 26.2miles in under 2hours. | BBC
- Mario Fraioli Morning shakeout
- New Women’s marathon WR in Chicago LetsRun
- Stats from Runners World
- Laurence Ostlere in the Independant
- Alex Hutchinson in sweatscience in outside online
- Nike Alpha Fly
- The Ineos Challenge
Interview - Ed Caesar
Martin and Tom are joined by writer and broadcaster Ed Caesar to reflect on the incredible 1:59 and Eliud Kipchoge.
Its the 1:59 gag of the year.
Training Talk. This week’s Training Talk is sponsored by Beet It Sport.
Prof Andy Jones talks us through nitrates in endurance sport.
Trusted by elite athletes around the world, the Beet It Sport range delivers a controlled dose of dietary nitrate, derived solely from concentrated beetroot juice. Independently used for research in over 300 medical and sports science institutes, Beet It Sport is the no.1 nitrate supplement proven to increase exercise performance and fatigue resistance.
Find out more at www.beet-it.com.
- Tony's off to Spain
- Tom's super-excited about the Hawaii Ironman